Impressions for Indirect Surface Testing | Quality Products by Metallurgical Supplies
META-IST = Indirect Surface Testing
... for indirect surface testing
- The sample is too large or heavy for testing by a laboratory
- The sample must be tested without being destroyed
- The area to examined is difficult to access
- For measuring of wear
- To measure initial samples and prototypes
- To take impressions for indirect surface testing
- To preserve and archive the condition of surfaces
- To create negative molds with silicone or plaster
- To re-create positive molds by using the double-mold procedure (To do so, META-IST can be ideally used in combination with Provil Novo silicones)
Depending on the required consistency and general requirements, the material can be mixed at a ratio of 1:1 up to 3:1 (powder/liquid). Once it has been mixed, META-IST can be poured for approx. 2 minutes, and afterward, it is still kneadable for approx. 30 seconds. META-IST takes approx. 5 minutes to cure. This allows sufficient time to apply the material in order to make a mold and to make a cast of areas that are difficult to get to on vertical objects and for work that is performed overhead. When taking impressions of vertical or overhead surfaces, it is advisable to pour META-IST onto a PE or META-TRANSFILM(coming soon). As soon as the material has thickened, it is pressed onto the surface from which the impression is to be taken and then fixated.
- Impressions of larger areas should be taken by applying several layers to keep the polymerization temperature low and hence prevent pores from forming within the impression material
- Modeling a handle makes it easier to remove the impression from the original
- Impressions should have a minimum thickness of 5 mm to prevent even marginal distortion when the impression is removed
- Complicated geometric shapes should be pre-treated with a conventional silicone or Teflon spray (please observe the processing instructions of the respective manufacturers).
- Impression accuracy1 μm
- Dimensionally stable
- Can be detached easily
- Can be mixed at different ratios
- Impressions can be analyzed with roughness measurement devices or non-contact measuring methods
Precision impressions with META-IST and the Provil novo series impression silicones.
Each sample as detailed as the original
Impression taking is an important method for the inspection of surfaces. To achieve a high-quality result, auxiliary materials are necessary which represent the surface structure to be examined with high precision. Depending on the processing method and the level of accuracy required, we recommend using the 2-component resin META-IST and the Provil Novo silicones. With an impression accuracy of < 0.1μm, each impression is as detailed as the original!
Precision impressions are used in many fields and applica- tion situation such as, e.g.:
- Wear assessment
- In-situ metallography
- Mould taking for restoration and mineralogical examination
- Reconstruction of damage incidents
- Forensic examinations
- Optimisation of processing technologies
Designated use is the taking of impressions for the inspection and measurement of surface structures where high precision is required.
REASONS WHY IMPRESSIONS ARE TAKEN
- Sample is too large or too heavy for a lab inspection
- Testing must be non-destructive
- Area to be examined is hard to access with measuring instruments
- Wear documentation
- Measuring of initial samples and prototypes
Surface inspection – the suitable product for every impression technique. This makes precision impressions simple, easy and safe!
|Image 1 analysis of scratches on a key||Image 2 shows a magnification of 200x||Image 3 shows a magnification of 200x of the impression with |
META-IST Indirect surface inspection
The flexibility when mixing the components guarantees both the pouring in a mold and the impression at hard to access places, verticals, as well as working overhead.
The two-component polymer consists of a powder and a liquid component. Depending on the requirements, the resin can be mixed at ratios between 1:1 and 3:1 (powder: liquid). At a standard mixing ratio of 2:1, the resin can be poured for approx. 2 minutes and remains subsequently kneadable for about 30 seconds. The curing time is approx. 5 minutes. Available in black and yellow
PROPERTIES AND APPLICATION